Saturday, December 8, 2012

Simple Or Techy, It's Hunting

Let's talk technology. It's always been a part of hunting. Sometimes, I get an attitude where I don't need or desire the new technological advances we have to hunt with today. This is not always the best attitude, because man always will look to improve hunting techniques and often times, looks at new technology to use in the field with him to make him more successful at bringing home his query.

However, knowing the fundamental skills is crucial. Playing the wind is an excellent example of how fundamental skills are nessasary even with the advent of the 21st century hunting technology.

Though new technology can make a hunter more effective, the latest technology is not needed to be successful. You still need the basic skills of hunting to go with the latest technology.  And this, my friends, is often what I put my time and energy doing. For if I master the basic skills of hunting, I can do without the latest technology until I can afford the latest technology. The price tags on some things can be ridiculous.

This may put me at a disadvantage at first, but over time I will have honed my skills and sharpened my senses of the woods, and knowing the basic skills of hunting will allow me to appreciate what the technology can add to my arsenal.

In a way you do need both. You need the basic fundamental skills so if technology fails, you can still be successful. Technology will come in handy to maximize the fundamental skills you have learned.

Thoughts? Jot 'em in the comments...



Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment